Monday, September 26, 2011

Intagliette

My apopogies for inturrupting the Colorado paintings flow.  I had to get this written while it was still fresh:

I was in a local gallery and found myself enchanted by some watercolor/intaglio art.   I went home and googled intaglio printing and found that it involves etching on copper plate or a similar surface.  That sounded expensive, time consuming and like something where you would have to add another room onto the house.  So I asked a print artist friend (www.bfhughes.etsy.com) if there was an easier way.  She did not hold out hope.

The only thing left to do was to dig into my "grew up poor and had to make dolls out of corn cobs" (not really) and engineering background to see if I could invent something that would have the effect I wanted without the traditional process. 

Voila!  With the help of desktop publishing, I have invented "intagliette"  (for all of the copyright lawers out there, I note that it is 9/26/11 at 4:06 pm.)  This top secret process involves creating or tracing a line drawing of my subject.  I use my computer printer to print it onto card stock or watercolor paper, and then add watercolor hilights to my heart's content. 

If you use my intagliette process, all I ask it that you send me 3% of your sales.  I would like to retire in a style unlike that to which I have become accustomed!

Nan Henke
Texas Hill Country Art
and inventor of intagliette

1 comment:

UserName53226 said...

Nan,
You're so innovative! Sounds like good instruction, but I'll leave creating masterpieces to you.
:) Glad you found another "genre" that makes you smile.
Have a great day!
Lisa