Friday, March 16, 2012

I'm ready for a vacation



I'm ready for a vacation, how about you? But nothing is on the calendar right now, so I am living off the vacation photos that other folks post on facebook. Here is a favorite from Kauai, and the couple who posted it just gave me permission to paint it! So my first step is to look at it in black and white, with the contrast high and the brightness all the way to light, then dark. This is reall...y helpful in teaching my eye to see the details and the variations, the pattern within those jungle covered hills. Can you see two small waterfalls on the right?
I also posterized the photo to see what details that might reveal. All of this will help me to decide how much detail to put into the painting. Stay tuned for more steps!
Nan Henke
Texas Hill Country Art

No comments: